Family dinners have always been an important part of raising and maintaining a happy, healthy clan. But for many families, holding a peaceful family dinner has become a nightly battle. Smartphones, tablets, laptops and an endless string of email dings all vie for your family’s attention, and sometimes it feels like texting is more important than talking.
But you know better! We’re here to help you take back the table. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is simple enough: Unplug. Armed with some irresistible recipes and a list of fun dinnertime questions for your crew, dinnertime can (and will) be restored to its former glory. With a little help from the creative minds over at EverydayFamily.com, here are our 10 favorite dinnertime topics to get the kiddos talking, laughing and enjoying a screen-free meal.
1. If you could have any superpower, which would you choose?
2. If you could be the principal of your school for a week, what changes would you make?
3. If you could trade places with your parents for a day, how would you do things differently?
4. If you could trade places with someone you know, would you do it? Who would it be and why?
5. What was the peak of your day and what was the valley?
6. If you could be any animal for a day, what would you be? Why?
7. If dogs (or cats) could talk, what would ours say?
8. If you could eat just one food—and nothing else—every day for a month, what would it be?
9. Would you sing in front of a thousand people? What song would you choose?
10. If you won the lottery, what’s the very first thing you would do with your big check?
These questions are fun to ask and fun to answer, and they’ll actually give you a lot of insight into what’s going on inside your spouse’s and kids’ heads. For example, asking your kids what they would change at their school if they were the principal might give you some information about what they’re going through at school. Having a better understanding of kids’ day-to-day lives allows parents to get more involved at every level, which is especially important during those crucial adolescent years.
While the conversation that takes place between bites is important, that’s no reason to skimp on what goes on those plates. We here are SampleHouse are wild about recipes, as evidenced by our huge collection of cookbooks—including the fan-favorite SampleHouse Cookbook! Regardless of your favorite food or your skill level, we have just the cookbook for you. For vegetable-based dishes, from-scratch baked goods, microwave meals and sides and southern comfort classics, we have the cookbook to keep dinner interesting and the conversation flowing.